Thursday, August 30, 2018

Fliphunt Library Orientation

4th Grade Library Orientation #Fliphunt

By 4th grade, our students know the library routines so I'm always looking for new, engaging ways to kick off the year but still reinforce library expectations with these older students.  Flipgrid is an easy-to-use tool where students can record short videos to demonstrate learning.  Last year, we used Flipgrid to record book talks, book trailers, reading responses, and more. This summer, I was so excited to learn about Fliphunts and decided to give it a try for library orientation.  It was a hit!



A Fliphunt is similar to a scavenger hunt and there are many ways that it can be used in the classroom.  Here is a great blog post about how Fliphunts can be used.  For our library orientation Fliphunt, I "hid" three Fliphunt stations around the library. The stations that I chose were: book care, shelf marker use, and our new genrefied fiction section.  At each station, students read the sign and then recorded a video demonstrating their knowledge of the topic. 




Students had about 25 minutes to complete the tasks.  Not every group finished, but most came close. The students enjoyed working in groups, moving around the library, using the iPads, and recording videos.  It was such an engaging activity and it gave me a chance to see what they know and which skills could use more practice.




I will definitely be looking for more opportunities to use Fliphunts in the library.  What ideas do you have?  Send them my way!

Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I wanted to create a Fliphunt for orientation but needed a jump start! Great ideas, and now I'm off and running!

    ReplyDelete